How do we make whiskey? – well, here in Ireland we mostly use barley.
The six-stage process is quite easily followed in the graphic but here is a breakdown to how do we make whiskey –
- malted or un-malted barley is ground down into a grist
- Warm water is added and this produces a sugar wash called wort.
- Now the mixture has yeast added and starts to ferment.
- The low-level alcohol mixture is now distilled anything up to three times.
- The clear alcohol spirit is transferred to oak casks to be aged for anything from 3 years to 30.
- After maturation, the whiskey is transferred from barrel to bottle and finally into your hands. Slainte
Dublin Whiskey Tours © 2016
Why not book a tour with the real Irish whiskey experts – we provide you with the knowledge of the culture, science and history of Irish whiskey in a fun and entertaining way. It’s one of the best ways to experience Irish whiskey and Dublin city.